Wednesday, May 31, 2023

SPIDER (AKA SHANGHAI) - SPIDER LP 80 w Between The Lines LP 81 w Shanghai LP 82 w X-Ray Vision EP 82


 REPOST (Part of Tina Turner Memorial Below):  What I wrote before:  Got's to thank Angstytimelord for setting me straight on who this (these) band (s) are and in the process finding out how bad my first rip of Spider LP had been.  Thus I picked it up again at discogs and gave a fresh rip for the first Spider LP.  She also made me aware that the keyboard player Holly Knight and Michael Des Barre from McGiver TV series  went on to write "Obsession" for Animotion (and she recorded the original version of the song with Michael des Barres for the movie "A Night in Heaven") and "Love Is A Battlefield" for Pat Benatar.  Also per oowawa's comment, the singer Amanda Blue sang the original version of "Better Be Good to Me," which became a big hit for Tina Turner. A long version of this tune is on the "Between the Lines" LP. This is a great dance mix with plenty of cowbell.   Check comments for the youtube video link.       https://krakenfiles.com/view/JXLCdaNQyF/file.html                  

1 comment:

Viacomclosedmedown on youtube said...

angstytimelord said...
Haha, thanks for giving me credit for inspiring you! I hope I keep doing that! LOVE this band. Did you know that they used to be called Spider but changed their name? (Remember "New Romance (It's A Mystery)" that was a big hit? That was them under their original name.)

SEPTEMBER 22, 2017 AT 3:33 PM
Viacomclosedmedown on youtube said...
I will post that Spider album!!!

SEPTEMBER 23, 2017 AT 2:02 PM
Viacomclosedmedown on youtube said...
Today is your day Angsty! You really had a cool record collection, I'm jealous. Oh and thanks for finally setting me straight on these (this) band!!!

SEPTEMBER 27, 2017 AT 12:11 PM
angstytimelord said...
Haha, you're welcome! I wish I still had my cool record collection -- thanks to a slew of cross-country moves during the 90s and early 2000s (mostly for work-related reasons), a lot of my vinyl disappeared. Just lost into the ether. I never had a comprehensive list of everything that I owned, either, so getting it ALL back would probably be next to impossible. But I've replaced a lot of it with mp3s and burned those onto cdr's, thanks to your blog and some others!

This band is great by either name they went by! Did you know that their keyboardist Holly Knight went on to write "Obsession" for Animotion (and she recorded the original version of the song with Michael des Barres for the movie "A Night in Heaven") and "Love Is A Battlefield" for Pat Benatar? Those songs are both kind of cheesy, but they're 80s classics and I love them!

SEPTEMBER 27, 2017 AT 3:27 PM
Mister-E said...
The Spider link doesn't seem to be working

SEPTEMBER 27, 2017 AT 7:40 PM
Viacomclosedmedown on youtube said...
Sorry little kiddo but i just checked both links even on my phone now and they both work Mister-E
Victor von Viacom strikes again!

SEPTEMBER 27, 2017 AT 9:27 PM
Mister-E said...
You're right!

SEPTEMBER 27, 2017 AT 11:20 PM
oowawa said...
Spider had a very sexy vocalist named Amanda Blue. Holly Knight wrote and Amanda Blue sang the original version of "Better Be Good to Me," which became a big hit for Tina Turner. A long version of this tune is on the "Between the Lines" LP. This is a great dance mix with plenty of cowbell. There is a wonderful U-Tube video with Amanda singing this tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVEdkOKkbwI

NOVEMBER 7, 2017 AT 2:13 PM

NOVEMBER 27, 2017 AT 1:36 PM
Todd said...
Spider's drummer is Anton Fig, famous session drummer "noted for his work in David Letterman's house band, the CBS Orchestra." among others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Fig

NOVEMBER 27, 2017 AT 9:23 PM
angstytimelord said...
Wow, I never knew that Amanda Blue recorded "Better Be Good To Me!" As much as I love Tina, I think Amanada's version of the song is better. (Though I've gotta admit that I love seeing Cy Curning from the Fixx in Tina's video.)

NOVEMBER 28, 2017 AT 12:37 PM

AUGUST 21, 2020 AT 10:43 AM
jimi2770 said...
please, update the link
MARCH 3, 2023 AT 12:09 PM
Viacomclosedmedown on youtube said...
Link restored today

MARCH 16, 2023 AT 10:42 AM

ShareThis